Sunday, July 6, 2008

Arriving in Florence








So this weekend my class went to the fabulous city of Florence. The Italian Mecca of art and shopping…! We took the train, which was a nice way to travel…and it only took us about 2 hours.

I got to stay in a working convent (NO… I didn’t burst into flames) in a huge room with one of my fellow students. We had a great view of the garden out the window, and there was a fresco on the ceiling of angels to wake up to! Pretty amazing. The only bad part was that since it was a convent there was a curfew… 11:30. Which might have been for the best!

On the way to our first destination, I had to cross the Ponte Vecchio….the fine jewelry Mecca of Florence. Not only is the jewelry beautiful, but also the bridge itself was an eyeful… and apparently one of the only surviving bridges after World War Two.

Our first day we went to the Uffizi Art Museum. Amazing… I was surrounded by the greats… Michelangelo, Botticelli, Filippo Lippi, Da Vinci, Raphael, Caravaggio, amongst many others. I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed and emotionally stunned by all of the greatness that surrounded me. Similar to my first visit to the Met, I had to swallow the tears brought on by the sheer awesome beauty created by so many genius artists. The Birth of Venus was my favorite…as it was so consuming by it’s sheer size…taking up an entire wall.

Pictures weren’t allowed, but that’s okay…my brain contains all the pictures it needs.


Afterwards, we ventured the streets of Florence, going to the art supply store, admiring the breathtaking Duomo (only from the outside) the famous doors created by Ghiberti, and having a refreshing Italian beer with a snack, and a luscious dinner later in the evening.

The girls and I wandered the streets at night, and happened upon a great club that had some happening music going on. We sat on the street and enjoyed some cold vino bianchi, and like a good girl, much like Cinderella, I was home before midnight as to avoid getting locked out of the convent.

No comments: